Originally Posted By: MDinana
[/quote]
Yes we should tell them that in a real world environment they do not need to worry, but for this merit badge, they should look at minimizing the impact. I got my WS Merit badge at summer camp. We had a number of scouts in the class and over 6 weeks of summer camp, that could be a lot of pine trees being used for bows to sleep on. I found a natural A frame that I was able to cover with downed leaves for over head shelter and more leaves for the bedding.

You lucked out! My shelter kept getting taken apart, so that ultimately I had to go to a new location on the morning before our outdoor sleep-out. I ended up with a crappy half done A-frame type. Mind you, this was on an island of the CA coast (fog rolling in at night). And of course, about midnight, I find I'm sleeping on a red ant nest. Not the best of situations crazy [/quote]

You were lucky you were in CA... In TX that could have been a Fire ant nest... Though I doubt that it would have taken until midnight for you to have found out! grin