I have my old Coleman standby...but it's relegated to garage storage as is the fuel. LED lanterns are much more safe, easier to use (just flick a switch), last a long time, and you can find them in just about any battery configuration you want...though I prefer AA batteries. I don't worry about using them in a house, tent, car, etc. The ones I use are roughly 5.5" talland 2.25" wide at the widest part (the base). Metric = 14cm x 5.2cm. They use 3 AA batteries and contain 4 LEDs. They're light and pack well just about anywhere. But there are all sorts of LED models.

On the subject of stoves, I prefer alcohol...like your Trangia. They have little to no problems (depends on how cold) and the fuel is not as dangerous, you can find it anywhere...even a liquor cabinet if needed... and comes in recycleable containers. The fuel also doesn't smell bad. That said, I've see some propane burners I am considering for home use...I'm just not sold on them yet.

I also have an MSR whisperlite multi-fuel stove in the garage...somewhere. <grin>

BTW, like CANOEDOGS, I have used coleman lanterns extensively. I used to live 8 miles fromm the nearest road up in the Rocky Mts. I only had coleman lanterns for light at night...even in the cabin. They're built to last and handy as anything. My grandfather pulled one out of flood debris 15-20 years ago, cleaned it up, replaced the long-gone globe, and I've been using it ever since. It used to run all night 3 nights a week for a couple of years while I spent all weekends fishing. But truthfully...these days in a house I like the size and quiet of LEDs.

BTW CANOEDOGS, what is the lantern cooking attachment actually called? I like the multi-purpose attachment...good to have around if you're burning fuel anyway!

Edited by yeti (03/25/07 10:54 PM)