Obviously one thing the Scouts don't teach is what to do if they do get lost.

While I do acknowledge that a couple times a year you hear about a situation where a Scout is lost, what we don't tend to hear is that hundreds of thousands of them hike and camp every year without any problems. In the current edition of the handbook, which is almost 500 pages, you'll find on page 38 the start of a discussion on safe hiking and what to do if you're lost, including STOP, signalling, shelter, etc. It's one of the first requirements for the first rank you can achieve, Tenderfoot, so I think the BSA does consider it a priority. It's also revisited in several other places, and incorporated into training for several merit badges.

I think this has been a great topic, and we've picked up a lot of great info from it. I'm just a volunteer, but, I know that our training as Scoutmasters emphasizes that a HUGE responsibility as leaders is to make this a safe environment to be in. You would be amazed at how much training the BSA provides now for leaders. In our Council, they have chosen to make all of the training free for adults, to encourage even more of them to attend beyond those of us required to be there. They require varying levels of training to recharter your troop each year, depending on your role in the troop. I think many of us work hard at it, but, like anything, there are going to be varying degrees of quality in an organization built on the goodwill of thousands of volunteers.

I do believe your point that education is a lifelong project is worth repeating. You're so right that the equipment alone is not enough. Knowledge, and a cool head to employ the knowledge when needed is so vital to the development of these boys.

It's always tough when you see a news story about a Scout lost. Unfortunately, there will always be some situations where a boy gets into a bind. There are plenty of things built into the system to make that a remote possibility, but, it will happen. You hear the "Scout lost" story more, I think, because there are just so many more of them out there trying to enjoy the outdoors. Scouting also tends to place some personal responsibility on boys, something our society tends to avoid everywhere else. Our job is to let them make some mistakes, without having it become a disaster.

There are a lot of things in life that bring risks with them when you participate. The Coast Guard probably could point out that there are more boaters lost at sea each year than people who don't have a boat. There are just a lot more opportunities to get lost at sea if you're spending time there. Many boaters take Coast Guard Aux. and/or Power Squadron courses. When they do get training, they don't tend to be in the news as often as those who don't, but, once in a while, stuff happens. We just have to try to be ready as best we can when it does. Ok, I know, this probably belongs in Campfire...be gentle wink

- Ron