Humans are the learning animals - we believe and act on what we are taught. Mostly when we are young - though we can learn (just slower) later. By the time I was 12 I had shot much game and had killed, gutted and skinned my first deer. My father was an old-time, upstate New York hunter, trapper and fisherman. Some of my best memories were as a young boy, on an October evening, Dad would say, "Let's go get dinner." We'd each grab a .22 rifle, some bullets (I used his old single-shot Remington) and head to the woods. He would stick a salt and a pepper shaker in his "gunnin' coat." We'd go shoot two or three gray squirrels, skin them out, salt and pepper and jam onto a stick, start a fire and roast supper. I always carried my little sheath knife, a hatchet and the gun. He'd say, "Our great-great-grandfathers built this nation with no more tools than what you have right now - remember that." I remember that it gave me tremendous confidence that has lasted me my whole life! The wilderness has no troubling shadows for someone taught in that way - only provisions for those properly equipped - and you don't need much! It turns out that those experiences have also made me confident in the city. I can't say that the other way round works as well - for the "city" experts I know aren't worth a da*n in the woods!

"Be Prepared" "For what?" "Why, any old thing!" B-P