It's funny - I never remember a "tote'n chip" in my troop - in fact, most NEW scouts came up from the Cubs, and tended to get a BOY Scout knife to replace their CUB Scout knife on the "Moving up" ceremony

Friday nights were the Troop Meetings. Right after Colors, there was inspection. I'll see if I can remember what we were supposed to carry.

You were in full uniform (this is the old Khaki uniforms, except for Leadership Corp - who wore Explorer Greens). This meant polished shoes - or hiking boots, your neckerchief properly folded, Garrison cap pants, shirt, belt (No dress sash required except certain meetings)

Other required items:
Approved knife (almost everyone had the classic 5 blade boyscout knife)
Paper and Pencil
Handkerchief
10 cents (later 25) for phone
Until you were signed off on knots - 3 ft of clothes line

On "camping trip" Fridays (we almost always went on 2 nighters) - you were inspected - you had to have a first aid kit, boots, had to wear your neckerchief, but NOT the rest of your uniform, pocket knife, Knife/fork/spoon, mess kit, canteen, food, rope, match case with matches, compass, maps for area we were going (my troop RARELY went to scout camps - we went into the WOODS), clothing based on season, etc You were given a list of minimum gear

Patrol Leaders were expected to inspect their patrols

The Senior Patrol leader and Assistant Sr then double checked, and checked the Patrol leaders - the JASM would sometimes inspect THEM

This was before any of us heard of multitools. Between the Leadership Corp (Patrol Leaders and up) we carried group gear - things like larger first aid kits, pliers, wire, 2 handed axes etc

Gee - sounds almost paramilitary, huh? That's because the Boy Scouts were!

If I remember right - our big "moving up" ceremony for the Cubs was December, so their first Troop meeting was in January - By end of March - they were expected to be ready for a 20 mile day hike!
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com