This is a valuable discussion.

But: I have to say that my hair stands on end at the (apparently) casual suggestion that gasoline and propane appliances be used indoors. These are inherently dangerous items, both for flash fire/explosion and carbon monoxide.

So, allow me to caution the inexperienced: a gasoline or propane flash fire could easily rob you of your primary shelter and survival stores, and leave you with serious burns and smoke inhalation. In a long term survival scenario, this would be a catastrophic event.

If used indoors, gas/propane appliances must be constantly supervised, and fire control plans must be ready. Personally, I would want an extinguisher, sand/dirt bucket, a fire blanket if possible, and a long-handled spade to reach the lantern or stove with. I would probably put them near an easily-opened window or door, so I could pitch the flaming item into the yard before it blew a gasket.

More likely, though, I would use the item (a stove, at least) outside if at all possible.

Hurricane lanterns and candles are somewhat safer (in my experience), but still demand a healthy dose of respect/paranoia. They must be placed and secured in a location where they will not light other items on fire in the event of a mistake. For example, you could set them on a large kitchen table, or even on the stove, in an item such as the broiling pan from your oven. There must be a non-flammable insulator or heat-dissipating air space between the pan and the table -- glass coasters or china plates, for example. Or, you could fill the pan with sand/dirt as a heat shield and fuel absorbent.

If you go the kerosene route (which is safer to use and store) also get a multi-fuel backpacking stove that can use the same fuel.

The safest and most reliable lighting source, hands down, is battery-powered lighting. LED headlamps for everybody, and some bright, high quality LED flashlights or spotlights as backup. Lay in some decent rechargeable batteries and a solar (PV) panel for charging, and you're set for months.

If you need other rechargeables in a pinch, you can take apart your cordless drill batteries (NiCd C-cells, average 1.2 volts each) or laptop battery packs (lithium ion cells, average 3.6 volts each). You can use the cordless drill as a recharger -- it's a permanent magnet motor, making it a passable DC generator. Improvise a crank (very hard work) or rig up an exercise bike (much more effective) and attach to the chuck by whatever means you can. You may also have to open the case to bypass the reverse discharge diode and (possibly) the variable-speed circuit, but this is simple stuff to do.

[EDIT: Phew, reading over my post, I guess I come across as a know-it-all. Don't be fooled. I'm not an expert; I'm just a guy who goes out and does it. So pardon the old guy on the soapbox, and keep talkin', it's all good.]

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/22/07 05:36 AM)