Originally Posted By: Alex
It would be nice to understand the age of the children in question. I'm not sure I can give a real razor-sharp survival knife to my 7 year old son yet... Though, I'm not familiar with the Boy Scout culture, may be that rank imply some age range already?

Generally Boy scouts are 10 years old or above. However, being an Eagle Scout with Junior Leader Training and former Leader I learned quickly that age does not equal experience or trust. The majority of new scouts got frustrated trying to start a fire in the best of conditions, never mind in the worst. Many also had to be carefully watched when wielding simple hiking sticks, never mind knives and lighters. I wouldn't let a scout carry a knife and fire starting device until I felt they were ready and trained with their certification cards (still Toten Chip and Fire'm Chit I gather?). However, all scouts would be given a whistle (with info about the three blasts for help signal) and water bottle right away and were expected to carry them.

Fact is, one list does not really work for all. Skill level varies greatly, even among scouts of the same age or rank. Telling (or even just allowing) a first year scout with little training or experience he needs to carry fire starting gear with him could end up being more disastrous than helpful, even in a survival situation.