My kits are all social.

My BOB sits at home and is tailored towards my immediate family needs, not just personal. I won't bug out without my family. Gathering family is part of my emergency plan.

My office and car kits are tailored towards getting me home, probably on foot ~7 miles, and contains the usual stuff people cite here. But they also include a supplement bag - a healthy supply of ABD pads, triangle bandages, cheap plastic ponchos, latex gloves, masks and other things I'm pretty sure I'll be using or handing out before I get home - there are 300 people in my office building alone, after a quake some of them will need to apply pressure, or worse. Many of them will exit the building coatless into PNW cold and rain. I'm not currently on a team tasked with helping them all, but I intend to help as many as resources allow. Until my employer stocks and prepares adequately, that's my commitment. Bought in bulk, these things are cheap, mostly non-perishable and worth having than not.

My home kits include similar provisions for neighborhood triage and assistance. I won't feed them all, but I have supplies and training to give basic first aid, set up a triage with others and some emergency shelter and warmth for at least immediate neighbors as necessary. Again, the community isn't organized for more than that yet, and government response could be days away. My 'community' kit reflects the commitment and training I can contribute if the shake happens tomorrow (think CERT).

The natural follow on to social kits is community preparedness - neighbors and office workers. I'm finding that slow going.