I think your troop is taking a sensible approach. A possible approach to the problem of getting scouts to carry some essentials on their person: neither I or my 12 yr old Scout go so far as a day hike without a lanyard around our necks holding a Fox whistle, photon LED light knock off, and on mine a P38 can opener. About $8/Scout-lanyard. More than that and you seem to risk Scout rebellion, neck-wise. But I'd rather have a Scout with a whistle and the sense (training) to STOP and blow it when lost than a whole lot of nothing because he's away from his pack and essentials.

The LED is handy for 3AM latrine visits, and maybe a bit of moral support for a Scout lost in the dark. The P38 of course is for fending off bear...

Whistles should be everywhere imo. REI Sahara zip off pants, the pants of choice for local Scouts, come with an ok whistle hanging from the belt. Lots of whistles incorporated into pack zippers too. Better than none, but no substitute for one of the Fox models on person.

Another Boy Scout EDC frequently missing these days is the buddy system. It can be hard to enforce on the trail with hikers of varying abilities, but it can be such a protection I wish it was invoked more than I see it.