Remember, there are two versions of the HAWG. Teacher reviews the commercial version (brighter colors, different design); Malpaso is referring to the military version (subdued or camo, & a different design).

IMO, the military version is better; it's what I chose over the commercial one. I think it has a slightly larger capacity, but it's very different in design...and the MOLLE/PALS webbing is very useful, as Malpaso noted. I ran some small elastic/bungee cord through the outer slots on the lower pocket loops, added a cord lock, tied a figure-8, & now have a bungee to secure light/bulky items quickly & temporarily.

You can also use the bladder compartment (sounds odd, doesn't it?) for storage if you're not using it to hold the hydration bladder. I do so with things than can not damage the bladder, even when using it, such as trash bags or spare bandana.

As noted, it's a bit small (1200 CI, more or less, I think), but add-ons are easy. I attached a fanny pack & belt to mine via the bottom attachment points, for a rappelling trip last summer, then proceeded to overload the pack. I weighed it fully loaded as carried (rope, slings, racks, 'biners, gloves, plus the usual day-hike stuff, including 3+liters of water). I was surprised to find it weighed 40 pounds--it carried it incredibly well, with no discomfort. However, I don't recommend doing that, but my point is that the military HAWG, at least, can pretty much take what you throw at it, & pass with flying colors.

I swapped the sternum strap buckle to the one with the integral whistle, and I'd add more MOLLE points on the sides & top...and just may. But the side compression straps permit adding pockets, or securing items beneath them, as well.

It's my favorite small pack, without question.

David