J_Michael,

If you found the article helpful, then I'm glad.

It doesn't sound like our views on size differ too much. We both agree that an altoids tin is too small. I chose what is the right size for me, but I don't say it has to be as big as mine, or it is not right. Instead, I say, "Of course, it's important for a PSK to be small enough that you keep it with you, so that you actually have it with you when you need it", and, "I don't expect everyone to carry a PSK as big as mine around 24/7, and I'm not suggesting that everyone should". I even give links to two smaller alternative containers: the Esbit stove, and the BCB Mini Mess Box.

Yes, Spectra can have a tendency to cut throught things, including your fingers, and itself. That's a legitimate argument against it. Like everything, there are compromises to be made when choosing cordage. I chose Spectra for a number of reasons, including its strength, its small size, its greater heat and fire resistance compared to nylon, its difficulty to chew through (i.e., it can be used for snares), and its non-stretchiness. It is more slippery, and more "cutting"; if you prefer to use Dacron, or nylon, or polyester... if you come to determine that the advantages of those outweigh the disadvantages, for your needs and use... that's great. Not really a disagreement, I think.

I used to carry surgical tubing in my kit. I carried it to get water from tinajas, as well as for binding, and to make a slingshot. I ultimately chose to remove it, and use that space to add a towel, instead. A towel is not as effective as a tube for getting water from a tinaja, but it can still gather water fairly effectively, and there are instances where a towel will work for water collecting, where tubing won't. Additionally, I ultimately came to conclude that the other uses for a towel served me better than the other uses for tubing.

I do think tubing has a legitimate place in survival kits.