I've always thought that in a survival or even just a run-of-the-mill camping situation, it's probably a good idea to make friends and that sharing is a good thing, so I've tried to plan my gear kits around the idea that I may run into another person that may need help or can provide help, or just good company. The general idea is that I always try to carry enough gear for two adults where it's not too cumbersome.

For instance, I like to carry enough cooking and eating gear so that I can share with a trailmate. Two knives, two forks, two spoons, two sporks, two cups, two bowls, two plates. Some of it is titanium for the weight savings (I *love* the Snow Peak titanium utensils and cups), and some is stainless (MSR plates and bowls).

In my urban kits, I always pack an extra set of safety glasses, dust masks, and nitrile gloves, among other things.

I also take two tarps along. Two tarps can make a pretty secure shelter, or two simple shelters (or whatever you might find a need for that a tarp can accomplish).

I'm curious if others out there follow a similar philosophy. Obviously, I don't do this where it's going to create a serious weight problem. I'm not an ultralight kind of guy, except in the sense that I don't go crazy trying to bring my whole house on my back. It's just that a little friendship and hospitality at the right time can go a long way. It also means I always have spares.