I know these are over-priced comparatively, but I've grown fond of my Danners. Thank God I didn't have to pay for them (issued while on govt work).

That said, I reckon I've seen a hundred pairs of boots from different mfrs that I could go for. Ultimately, you gotta try them on, try them out, and see for yourself what works for you. Just like good cowboy boots, folks have different style and fit requirements for hikers that make them pick one mfr over another.

The thing is you are gonna have to be prepared to spend the money for the higher quality, then it's just a matter of finding what will fit your foot best for a given category (all my hikers are insulated as that is what I need for the environment I use them in). Where you are you might need something that breathes a bit better.

The list of good quality boot makers is long. You can even go custom. I won't buy a pair of boots I can't at least try on first. Usually if a high end boot feels right in the store, it will continue to feel right as it breaks in. Cheaper boots don't seem to work out as well, though you can get lucky sometimes.