Stick to companies who make cameras (e.g., Cannon, Nikon, etc.) and stay away from companies who build cameras as an addition to their primary products (e.g., Kodak, HP, etc.).

WHOA! Don't badmouth Kodak. They were making cameras before the CEO's of Canon and Nikon were born (in Japan of course). You can get a good Kodak for under $200 in the 3 MP range which is adequate to make enlargements up to 5 X 7 or larger.

I once owned one of those Kodak film cameras that made panoramic shots (can't remember the name). It finally died and I called Kodak about getting it repaired. Nice lady in customer service said the camera was discontinued and that it was of poor design from the start. Even though the camera was well out of warranty, she instructed me to mail it to her and she would send me the current version, FREE. And she did. This is not the first time I have gotten outstanding service from Kodak, like sending me a small part for my projector, FREE, with her apology.

As someone mentioned, some of their cameras have a charging/transfer dock. This is very handy for some applications. Rather than worry with a portable charger, I just carry an extra battery. Surely they have a compatible system to connect to laptops without packing the dock. Takes outstanding pictures as do most brands of digital cameras. I have an LG cell phone (LG8300)that takes unbelievably good pictures which surprised me greatly. They go on a mini-SD card which slips into the side of the phone.

This is sorta like which is best, Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge pickups. (Chevy diesel of course).

BTW, my Kodak digital camera, Model DX3900, is......<wince>....
made in Japan! It's still a great little camera and easily slips into your shirt pocket (or bra if you have the room). There is literally a plethora of digitals on eBay, some at real bargains new in the box.

My two cents.

Boone