Re My Emergency Wilderness PSK

With regard to the matches, the quote is spot on but I find the plus sides outweigh the minuses. I also have a different number of ways to light a fire and these generally include matches. I carry approx 20 matches (10 strike anywhere and 10 NATO lifeboat) which will allow me to make 10 fires. I use the following method to store matches. Take some corrugated cardboard and cut it so that a rectangular piece is sized enough to carry 20 matches; the 10 Lifeboat matches are one at a time inserted every two corrugations with the 10 strike anywhere matches inserted into the opposing corrugations from the opposite side. The matches and card board are then dipped into hot candle wax. This is allowed to cool and any excess wax removed from the surface.
When I need to light a fire after the Butane lighter has run out and when lighting wet tinder is proving too difficult with the Firesteel I will cut from the match cardboard supply one Lifeboat and one strike anywhere match. After removing the strike anywhere match and exposing the head of the Lifeboat match I then hold the strike anywhere match just below the Lifeboat match then strike the strike anywhere match. This will ignite the Lifeboat match even in the most difficult circumstances. The waxed paper will also burn much longer than the Lifeboat match would even do and actually is a excellent tinder in its own right. The whole package is actually very compact, has a thin flat form factor, the matches are waterproof, the package will float, all the material mass is used in creating fire and therefore is very efficient especially for smaller PSKs. I know that the number of attempted firelights is small, but this package is reasonably small and at the end of the day extremely reliable.

The Citronella candles from UCO have a very high melting point and will not readily melt in your PSK. As DEET is a most powerful pesticide and is highly toxic I prefer using alternative methods especially in more temperate regions. Together with using the Citronella candle I like to use Nordic Summer

With regard to the new Fenix LOD CE flashlight, the specifications for this flashlight are outstanding and is comparable to the weight and volume of the Avexa Skunklight with the Fenix being only 14gms heavier when using a AAA lithium Battery. I also have an Exped Skylight (same solar light - different name). The main difference is in the performance. Although the Avexa can go for 2-3 hours the Fenix on its lowest setting can go for 8.5hrs but is still many, many more times brighter. The AAA lithium Cell has a storage lifetime exceeding 10 years. The real difference is the high power and SOS performance. This diminutive flashlight can equal the performance of a Surefire A2 Aviator (50 Lumen for 1hr). This is getting into the realms of tactical performance. The SOS function will last around 3-4 hrs. Even according to the published research on night time signalling with laser flares on the Equipped website this little light should be able to signal an SOS up to 20miles; i.e. this would be comparable to the Surefire 6P at 65 lumens mentioned. I completely agree with you that the Avexa is a certainly a worthwhile addition which is why a have both in my PSK.

The povidone-iodine solution instead of soap: I have not used this before in this way. Does it give you purple hands and or kill the fish?

With regard to the Tea brew kit - The British just can't help themselves.