I really don't like hearing the old saw about how if you don't have extensive training in any particular weapon, then you are more likely to have that weapon taken away from you and used against you, or variations thereof.

This is nothing but the same sort of fear-mongering that anti-weapon advocates of every kind use to try to keep the rest of the people too scared to defend themselves.

You think you can grab my stick from me? When I'm swinging it at you full force at at its full reach? I'm not saying it can't be done, but the odds are against you, no matter what my level of training is. A stick is a simple weapon. You swing it, and if it hits, you're going to be hurt, no matter what body part gets hit.

The bottom line is, every fight is a potentially deadly situation, no matter if weapons are involved or not. Better to have a weapon than not, period. Even better to have training in that weapon, but when push comes to shove, you use whatever you have available, period. Whether that's a gun, a knife, a stick, a bucket of water, a handful of sand, a stick of bubblegum, or just your wise-ass mouth, every weapon you can employ gives you an advantage.