Hello All,
I am newcomer to this forum and I wish to introduce myself. I am an old timer of 51 with many years of backpacking, hiking, hunting experience as well as other outdoor pursuits. I have only recently become interested in survival skills and I hope to learn all I can from the folks here. I reside in Albuquerque,NM and spend much of my free time fly fishing and hiking the trails near town and in the romote areas as well.
Regarding hiking poles or staves:
For the last ten years or so I have adopted a pair of MSR adjustable hiking poles when I am backpacking. I find them invaluable for maintaining balance on rough or steep terrain and especially when crossing creeks, etc. For simple walking for pleasure I use a single six foot length of Rattan, 2" in diameter, with brass ends and a rubber crutch tip at the bottom. I have a length of 550 paracord wrapped around the grip and a small button compass in the top brass cap that is removable. I find Rattan to be the best balance between strength, weight, flexibility and durability. Sometimes on a lark I will carry a dried Yucca staff...amazingly light and surprisingly strong but prone to damage and splits. Thse are good in a pinch as they are disposable and replaceable almost anywhere in New Mexico.
I carry a fairly comprehensive personal survival kit in the fanny pack that I wear or a smaller essentials kit inside a pocket sewn into the crown of my hat.
I hope to meet and get to know many if not all of you in the future, perhaps I can contribute an idea or two as well as learn much from you all.
Regards,
Kixonrt66

Edited by kixonrt66 (03/17/07 03:35 AM)