Thanks, Ben.

I'll respond to each of your suggestions, individually.

Matches: No. I've decided that matches don't cut it, for me. Not even NATO Lifeboat Matches. As I explain, here (scroll down to about the middle):

http://www.mikespinak.com/articles/Essays/e996thepsk.html

Quote:
"This goes against common wisdom, but... I place matches low in preference as a type of emergency firestarter. While they do have some interesting plusses, they also have a lot of serious shortcomings.

On the positive side, they can provide an instant flame. In case somebody needs to light a fire for you, everybody recognizes what they are and knows how to light them, and they don't take much skill to use with a high success rate. They can be combined to produce greater heat output, to start fires in difficult conditions. They can double as tinder. They can be split amongst several people in a party. They can be lit and thrown, if necessary.

On the negative side, they take up a lot of room for the number of fires they can start (especially if they are in a waterproof case). Twenty matches take up as much room as a mini lighter which can start hundreds of fires, and more room than a firesteel which can start thousands of fires. They also break easily when you strike them (and the "waterproof" ones are harder to light, requiring a firmer strike, thereby making them more prone to breaking). Most aren't waterproof. Even the waterproof ones degrade over time, due to moisture. Most aren't very wind resistant, either. Most require a special strikng surface (which must, therfore, not be lost, and must be kept dry) in order to work at all.

I wish I could recommend waterproof, windproof, strike-anywhere matches, on good quality, sturdy, water-resistant matchsticks... they would be easy to make... but nobody makes them, to the best of my knowledge. "

Besides, I've already got 5 other ways to start a fire in my kit. I think I'm covered more than well enough, without including matches.

Citronella candle: No, for a few reasons. It would quickly melt into a very problematic mess insde my kit. Also, I don't like to have anything with any added scent in my kit. Even though candles have a legitmate place in survival kits, especially larger kits for cars and such, I just don't think it is a worthwhile enough use of the limited space in my pocket sized kit.

Fenix LOD CE: No. I already have a flashlight in my kit, which works fine for navigating at night. I know it is more than adequate for this purpose, because I have the same flashlight attached to my belt, and have been using it hiking at night for years. Between the one on my belt, and the back up in my PSK, I don't think I would be better off carrying a larger, heavier, less long lasting additional light.

Esbit Wing Stove: No. I've seen those, and they are cool... but they don't make the cut for my kit. I did consider adding my Vargo Triad stove to my kit. I could run it on the pure methanol I carry for cleaning my lenses and camera sensor. I could also use the back side with a chunk of fatwood (which would work as well as Esbit fuel, and is a biofuel which is always available, since I carry it in my kit). I'm still considering adding the Triad to my kit, but my inclination is to think that a small stove doesn't make it as a critical survival item in a pocket sized kit.

A small bar of soap: Note that I carry a squirt bottle of povidone iodine, which can cover hand cleaning.

A small packet of tea bags: Definitely not. I don't put things into my PSK which can go stale, or rot, or easily tear and make a useless mess, etc. Further, (I'm sorry to disagree with the British bushcrafters, but) it doesn't have nearly enough worth to take up space in my kit. As for using it as part of the STOP principle or the ABCDEF principle... I'll do fine dispensing with the tea bag and boiling up a steaming cup of water. Besides, pine needle tea is usually an option, where I usually go out.

Lifeventure Carabiners: I'm not familiar with Lifeventure's carabiners. I have been seriously considering a carabiner or few as part of my kit.

A small Silva Sere compass: Between the compass I keep in my pocket, tied to my belt (mostly for setting up sunrise/sunseet photos), and the compass in my PSK, I think I'm covered well enough. I think it would be too much to carry a back up to my backup.

Mosquito head net: I have one. Sometimes I put it in my kit.

Thanks!

Edited by Evolute (03/17/07 05:26 AM)