We have an Olympus that we have been pretty happy with for the last couple of years. Unless you disable the flash, it does have some shutter lag (or whatever you call it, you push the button, and it takes the pic a second or so later. Makes it hard to get some of those shots you really wanted). It's little screen isn't the biggest in the world, but we live with it. It uses a rechargable battery, so you must carry the charger around on trips, and keep an eye on the battery level, and uses a standard USB cord to connect to our laptop. It came with free software you load into your computer, but most computers can do the same thing without any additional software. The Olympus software does have some features that I like better than the built in to the computer stuff. It uses a standard XD chip, so you can carry additional chips when going on a long trip if you want to. It only has a 3X zoom, we wish it had a little more, alto you can zoom in on it once you get the image into your computer. All in all we are pretty happy with it.

I have not used any of their digitals, but in my film days, I had good luck with anything marked Pentax...