I figure that it's only fair to warn them, since they might appreciate the warning. I don't do it in a condescending way, or as if I know everything. I just lay it out in a few words and let them make their own decision.

The time in OR when I was hiking out from a campground, my dog suddenly kept stepping in front of me and pressing against my shins, while looking intently ahead and off the trail. I took her advice and we turned back, both of us watching our back trail. Shortly after we headed back, we met a young couple and I warned them that my dog was extremely uneasy, and that I suspected a bear or cougar, although I hadn't seen anything. I could see them standing in the trail, talking, then they started to follow me down.

"From an ethical and moral perspective, none of us as regular civilians are compelled to render aid and assistance..."

Advice and assistance can only come from government employees??? How amusing. And how sad. Why draw a line between who you will help and not help? Wouldn't it be easier to just not help all the time? One decision fits all.

Sue