I have always shared your skepticism about the need to hide, particularly from the government. I always thought such a scenario was unlikely in the extreme. But:

Quote:
...as a Marine who could be part of a quick reaction force for domestic disaster/disturbance (read terrorist attack, homegrown insurgancy, etc) paramilitary type behavior (i.e. guys running around in cammies with guns) is an issue.

The military will be called in during a terrorist attack/natural disaster and if they see someone or a group of people running around a checkpoint/observation post in camo (military or not), carrying packs and weapons, then they could be considered hostiles.

I may be off the mark, but I get antsy about this subject, since I could be the one manning that checkpoint, having to make the decision on the spot.

I must confess these statements of yours concern me a little. I can absolutely guarantee you that, in a case of large scale natural disaster, a sizable chunk of the population in certain areas of the country are going to be carrying weapons. I can further guarantee you that a goodly percentage of them may be wearing camo. Surely you have had sufficient training and/or experience to help you to differentiate between lawfully armed citizens and a genuine threat?