Originally Posted By: samhain

I've got a series of excel spread sheets that I've tried to catagorize/prioritize what stuff needs to go where, but I think I've been trying to cover too many bases too haphazardly.

Sounds like your on the same track I am. Make a new blank spreadsheet (I use OpenOffice instead of Excel but thats a whole different thread) for your overall plan. This is where you take a step back and think things at a high level. Instead of knife or flashlight your thinking EDC/BOB/etc
I like the idea of using my backpacking gear as part of the family BOB. It doesn't make sense to have duplicate gear in all places which is where I felt like I was heading.

Plan:

1) Make a specific disaster plan. (I already have the basics of one with meeting places, etc), and incorporate it into the family control log my wife is building. I'm carrying too much of this stuff in my head.

I work in IT so Disaster Recovery is a common thing. I made a personal/home DR Plan. Much like the ones I see at the office that say what if this regional processing center or data center goes down mine says what if I have to leave my house or what if my house is destroyed.

2) Make Shopping / improvising list to cover what I don't have focusing on quality.

Not only quality gear but make sure it fits in with your master plan, for example don't buy a camping trailer if you don't have a vehicle to tow it with or don't buy gear you don't plan on learning to use.

2) Schedule rotation schedule for expiring supplies (already have a semi-routine for hurricane season).

I found spreadsheets work well here too, make rows with each todo and then make columns of weekly, monthly, yearly, etc times. I used to use a calendar with todo's and such but it was too easy to snooze those reminders. I now will open the spreadsheet when I get a chance and do everything that needs done.

Intervention:

2) Add one element per paycheck to add.

3) Get out and go more places (my in-laws are the most prepared folks I know outside of this group. They lived in their RV for a while traveling around).

I try to buy gear each paycheck but don't hold your self exactly to it, let yourself splurge on something fun every once and a while so you don't get depressed from gloom and doom.
We take trips to state parks and places like that. I'll get up on a Sat morning and the weather will be nice so I'll pick a park and we'll throw the camping/portable/bugout grill in the truck and take off and spend the day somewhere new. I applied my same standards to the fun stuff, got a bag and put in bathing suits and towels and sunscreen so its packed and always ready to go so if the park I picked has a lake were good to swim.

Evaluation:

1) Ask my beloved and child for feedback. Is this something you would use? Are you feeling cluttered?

2) Reassess threats as needed.

3) Reassess inventory (did I use this during the year, is it taking up space that could be better used for something else?

4) Use the gear from time to time. (does it work as planned, does canned ravioli taste ok cold, etc ?)

How old if your child? If old enough and enjoys the trips to places then buy him/her a small colorful backpack and have them pack it for a travel bag. Put in a change of clothes, book, game, etc and anything else he/she might use when your out at parks and such. Then when you get up one morning and say "hey lets go to lake _" they can just grab their 'go travel' bags and hit the road.
We managed to make a real camping trip last summer and have another this summer so all my gear was packed and taken.