My very first multi-tool was a Craftsman Multi-Tool, I forget what model, but it was stolen from me. It was bar none the BEST multi-tool I have ever had the pleasure of owning. I did everything with that tool. Sadly, it's no longer manufactured, and I really wish I could get another. I lament the loss of it to this day.

I've had my share of Leathermans and Gerbers, but the one I have now and will always carry will be my Victorinox Swisstool Spirit . It's just got a great ergonomic design, isn't too heavy, and has more than enough tools I need. My only gripes are that the pliers aren't needle-nosed, and that the blade does not have a tip (not so on the S-model, though). But it's easy to clean, maintain, and has plenty of attachments to utilize, both in urban and rural settings.

Personally, not to offend all the Leatherman and Gerber users out there, but I think that Leatherman multi-tools, with the exception of the Micra, Kick, and c300 model folding knives, are just too heavy for me. And I think Gerber multi-tools are just pretty much trash. I've owned two, and they are the last I will ever touch. I owned Auto-Recoil pliers, with the push-button opening, and they broke after a few months. I also had a Suspension multi-tool, and to this day I can't open one tool without dragging open three others. Just really, really, poor designs, IMHO. I do like Gerber's folding knives, though.