Organization certainly helps, especially for the storage aspects such as Eugene practices.

A while back Chris made yet another profound statement. He noted that equipping for survival should be similar to how you would dress for varying weather conditions. It should be done in layers. Several smaller layers are better than one big one. He was referring then to the difference between EDC and BOB and such, but the principle is global. I try to tote aroudn as little as possible, and keep stashes of supplies at my regular locations, such as work and home, of things I might need less often. I figure that the point of my EDC ought to be to get me to a location where I can equip further, and the point of my stash is to help me either get by where I am or make it to somewhere safer. I would only keep in the car what I am able to tote on my person, except for specialty items for specific planned or expected circumstances, which would rotate in and out as the need changes. I keep my bug out supplies in good order at home and use them once in a while just for an equipment check and so I can stay familiar with the lot.