My wife and I spent a good deal of yesterday getting rid of the junk stuff in our house to make way for valid stuff. Examples -

50 or so pieces of tupperware was overkill, now 20 pieces of tupperware is plenty and probably overkill too...

Placemats, seasonal adornments, mixing bowls (convinced my wife to whiddle the number down to 11!), and the list of junk stuff goes on and on...

Now we have room for good stuff, like more food, water and gear...

If you need a check, as the wife. I would never be able to argue another flashlight, but she has been all about food prep lately.

I too, work on a few different areas at a time - Food, Water, First Aid, Gear, and home saftey/defense. Food and water lately because of affordability but I am about to shift to home defense (tax refund and 3 checks in May, hurray!)

You can never have too much food or water stored. Concentrate on food and water for a while as you reasses your situation. It is cheap and you can never have enough.

If you are a pack-rat, GET RID OF THE PACK-RAT MENTALITY. Donate overlyredundant gear and get rid of the clutter to make way for meaningful equipment.

As time goes on we acquire better gear:
Example- The MnM's candy propaganda auto-scan FM radio becomes a Coby AM/FM radio becomes an Sony AM/FM/TV radio which becomes a Grundig crank AM/FM/SW with light and cellphone charger accompanied by Cobra walkie talkies with NOAA WB capabilities. So get rid of the autoscan, the coby and possibly the sony.

Also, try to incoorporate the Concentric Rings theory and eliminate some of the redundancy for better capability...

And one last thing - your family, neighbors or friends might be looking to you when TSHTF...

Just some random thoughts...