Look first for the things that are overly redundant (do I need a deLorme book plus the state road map plus quad maps for the country, or can I get by with the deLorme maps?).

Then look at the stuff you can consolidate with a multipurpose item (do I need a bivvy bag plus a poncho plus a box of 55 gallon bags, or can I get by with just the 55 gallon bags?).

Then look at the seasonal items (do I need the -20 sleeping bag, or can I get by with the 20 degree bag?) and the modular items (do I need the 20 degree bag, or can I get by with the 40 degree one and a spare blanket and the spare beenie and sweatshirt I've got in the car)?.

And the items that aren't needed, but you put in just in case, and ask if those cases have existed in the past five years (do I need a snake bite kit in Ireland?).

And remember, duct tape, brass wire, paracord and a mix of various sized of zip ties can fix almost everything.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.