Actually Tom, let me correct the fact for you.

The fact is, according to us folks, that people who can't find "N" on a compass probably aren't going to find a GPS "intuitive" either (read the last line of my previous post again for clarification of this fact you cited). and yes, I believe they do make a number of digital LCD screen compasses for sale these days, of varying function, all requiring batteries.

The fact is, a lot of people are just plain lazy, and won't take the time necessary to learn how to use a compass in such a way that it is going to do them much good if they get themselves into a situation where they are no longer unlost.

It is a question of semantics, but I'd say you are unlost until such time as you realize you don't know where you are anymore and which way to go to get unlost. Then you are lost. Part of the definition of being lost includes awareness. When I am hunting, even in familiar terrain, I am not constantly thinking about where I am or where the car is. However, if I should meander out to a point that is unfamiliar, and then realize I don't know where I am or which way the car is, then I am lost, until such time as I identify my location and/or where the car is via the map or the GPS. Most people will find it infintitely easier to do so with a GPS these days, given the current state of the technology.

If finding N on the compass were all there was to orienteering with it, then GPS probably would not be the big success it is today, at least in civilian applications. Most of the time I cannot see more than 100 yards in any direction for miles out where I play. That'd pretty much defeat your instructions on map and compass use. Conversely, I can depress the power on button on the GPS, wait 30 seconds, and see the flashing "O" where the car is, the flashing arrow where I am, and figure out which way and how far I gotta go in about 10 seconds or less.
That's why the first thing I grab when I want to navigate is the GPS instead of the map and compass, despite being proficient with both. Convenience is a human desire.

Finally, I am reasonably sure, based on my experiences, that there are quite a few out there who did go out into the big woods without any navigation aids, wandered around for a while, then found their own way back home without any other help. I did it a lot when I was a kid, so did a good number of my friends, and we never missed dinner.