I have a GPS V also. It came with mapping software so I can reprogram the map detail stored in its limited (19meg) memory. Configuring the GPS V before a trip does a great deal to familiarize you with the areas you need to know about. When I travel the laptop comes with me so I always have an electronic alley map of the entire U.S. with me.

One thing I've noticed about some of the newer GPS units (Tom-Tom and the Garmin equivalents) for driving is that they seem to not need even a rudimentary knowledge of how the system works. You just turn it on and rely totally on the database and a big display. I emailed Garmin about an update to the GPS V (more resident memory, hi-res color display, same platform) and didn't hear anything back. I don't think there's a big market for GPS units that require thought -- the designers are going the other way. Eventually I'll update, probably to a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx or whatever replaces it and install the biggest memory card available.

As for paper maps: They are great for limited areas, otherwise the detail sucks. I keep a road atlas in the truck, but honestly I haven't opened it in years. I have a local map of San Diego and haven't needed to use it either. Topo maps I use because neither of my GPS units does topo, but eventually that will change.