No Stretch, I think you're being clear. Here is my theory on how this came to be. The military needed to research how their soldiers' bodies adapted to cold weather (among other things of course). With the best instruments and methodology available in 1957, military scientists carried out said research and papers were published announcing the results. Somewhere in that research a figure was stated claiming a percentage of heat lost from our heads (I'm still not sure what the figure was, I've always heard 70%). Through the years, this information was passed on from study to study, article to article, and mouth to mouth until it became the undisputed fact.

Now, several decades later, more up-to-date research is being conducted and more accurate figures are being presented. I understand your point that it's not "my" facts that need to be proved and I agree, but I don't agree that it comes down to "Doc Gordon" against the world. I'm confident that as we hear more and more about this, the 10% figure will eventually become the new accepted figure (or I will eat that humble pie!).

Why do I think this? If we lost 70% of our body heat from our head, your dearly loved empirical evidence should allow me to walk outside in 30 degree weather with nothing on but a warm hat and maybe a pair of light cotton shorts (or anything else that covered 30% of my BSA) and be warm, I don't know about you, but that doesn't work for me. I do wear a hat when cold, but when I take it off, I don't suddenly start shivering and hypoventilating as I would expect from such a drastic heat loss.