Originally Posted By: yeti
Training brings with it proper attitude AND technique, which beats simple brute force and bravado every time. Your initial post gave the impression of discounting that. Your counter point continues that.

Not my point. Training is great. My point is that training takes time, and until that time is in, a person needs to do something, unless you advocate they just adopt the position of "OK, I'm not trained and you MIGHT be, so I'll just lay down and die now." And agressive response, even if it is not the optimal response, can be effective. It is certainly better than doing nothing.

Example, stances. Stance is important, as how you hold yourself determines the the areas about your body into which you can block and strike, limits your visibility and profile, can reduce your mobility when it comes time to move your feet. What you are describing works well enough, if there is one attacker, you have a heavy club, and you take the time to beat them down.

Again, you are complicating matters for a beginner. These are great things to learn, if you have a good teacher and the time to learn it, but what about TONIGHT?

And with a telescoping baton, you're going to be there for a while. Hope you get mugged by a narcoleptic, because one of the trade offs for the portability is a loss of brute mass.

Sorry, I disagree with this totally. A good ASP or Monadnoc has plenty of mass. Even an untrained person of reasonable athleticism can swing it pretty hard.

Of course, in that amount of time, the other guy who didn't notice has shoved a junk knife in your kidney because you were too busy going caveman on the one you did see.

Again, agree and disagree. This can certainly happen, to even the trained. But, aggressively engaging the opponent you do see is better than not engaging them and looking around for someone else. Deal with the problem at hand.

If instead, you had broken mook A's knee cap then kicked him in the head, you'd have heard mook B coming. Anger isn't attitude, it's desperation. A clear mind survives.

I don't know where that comes from. Doesn't quite make sense. All I am saying is do the best you can with what you have. If you can do that, great, that's the ultimate goal. I don't want to stand in a fight, I want to hurt them and get away.

Guys, what I am saying here is you don't have to become a live in monk at the dojo and become a grand master in order to improve your chances of survival right now. Having a baton is better than not having one. Having one and a few hours to get the basics is better still. Sure, if you want to become a grand master, do so. I never said not to train. What I said was that you shouldn't NOT get and carry a baton because some arbitrary standard of proficiency has not yet been achieved.