Interesting scenario. I live in Salt Lake City and can see no reason that I'd want to go from Vegas to LA, NO, or Chicago. I have driven north on Highway 93 to I-80 and that is one lonely highway (which you can drive without traversing the AFB).

I cannot see a scenario that would cause large scale evacuation of Las Vegas (e.g. a hurricane). If the SHTF and you had to leave, you'd likely be on the highway with the 350,00 tourists (many of which flew in and would be trying to fly out, hence not be on the highway) and not the 2 million who live there. I'd just jump in the car and head to Mesquite or St. George, (or Kingman or Barstow or Tonopah, depending on where you are heading)and supply there (assuming I had a full tank of gas and a few drinks in the car). I know people in St. George so could hole up for awhile

I was at a conference in Vegas in December (while the World Championship Rodeo was going on) and the surface streets are gridlock. I suppose I was in violation of the law because I packed heat but had no problems. I have to agree that the city is a sewer.

Once you get out of the city, there is a lot of the middle-of-nowhere so I think the traffic would disperse relatively quickly and travel would get easier the further you traveled. Of course getting out of town is the trick.

My co-worker went down there yesterday for the Mountain West Conference Basketball Tournament (he's a BYU grad). His son (also a BYU grad) lives in Henderson. We kind of discussed this earlier this week because there is a NASCAR race this weekend in Vegas. We decided that the best thing for him to do is to leave I-15 in Glendale and drive along the shore of Lake Meade to get to Henderson. Yes, it is longer but more scenic and avoids all the congestion in North Las Vegas from the race track. His plan was to go down that way yesterday and come back that way on Sunday. I'll try to let you know how that worked out for him after I talk to him next week.