That was my feeling for the site. It a blog that claims to present the latest in wilderness medicine (which may or may not be true), but a comparison between it and the journal Nature reveals huge differences between a true peer reviewed journal and "TMC Books, LLC is just three guys working out of an old barn in the White Mountains of New Hampshire." (follow the 'about us' sections to TMC books, the company that publishes the Wilderness Medicine Newsletter. When relying on research, especially where it concerns my health, a publication with a lack of peer review isn't going to be my first choice. For that matter neither is Discovery Channel, Mythbusters, or even this site so far as it concerns medicine or similar subjects. Scientists generally try to present serious new research in a peer review article, if they don't you have to ask why.

And for the record this is the very place a person would question the authority cited and determine whether a fallacious appeal to authority is being made.