I think proper body mechanics is extremely important in pretty much anything you do. I have been taught both sides. The more traditional side tend to focus on stance and form. The more applied type teaching tell me not to worry about the exact stance and form but to make sure the proper body mechanics are employed. When they are, the form and stance is usually pretty solid. It may not win a forms competition (never been in one), but it should help you get out of your situation if you are unfortunate enough to get into one in the first place.

OBG, I tend to agree with you. I would rather be able to use a non-weapon as a weapon than rely on carrying an actual weapon around. If I am in a parking lot, my keys are in my hand where they can be used to open my car and to give me a little edge I hope I won't need. I think if a badguy were to attack me or especially my family, the keys will be in the eyes and throat, not a whack across. Call 911 for police and ambulance as I drive off to get my family out of there. Don't get me wrong, I detest violence. I just rather stop it as fast as I can, if I can, than have it delivered on me or my family.

My teacher has had so many "encounters" in his life, it is incredible. He has been attacked by guys wielding knives, bats and bottles. He has been jumped by a homeless guy while jogging. Been accosted while trying to watch a game with his family at a stadium. Been jumped by a couple of punks in a public bathroom at a park while he was trying to do his business. I cannot imagine a more vulnerable position than with your pants down like that. Funny thing is he has been the one to walk out of those situations, not the assailants. He has helped the police as a citizen a few times too. I have had one encounter and I think it was one too many even though I was unscathed.

My point in mentioning all this is that as a young man, many many years ago, he was one of those guys that would look for trouble. And he often found it, or it found him. It also seemed to have followed him over the decades until recently. I wish you all peace and hope you all have good intentions and hope we all stay safe. I think the saying "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it" can be so very true. So be careful if you choose to carry a weapon and know your intentions as well as limitations when you do. I hope it gives you peace of mind and you never have to use it to defend yourself and heaven forbid, ever use it in anger.