Originally Posted By: Lasd02
Blackeagle & AROTC: Susan did not present any information to discredit the education, training or expertise of the authors of the original source, she simply implied that the entire argument should be dismissed because it was written by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (yeah, what do they know!), a PHD. who operates the Laboratory for Exercise and Environmental Medicine and Dr. Hubbell, the founder of SOLO (look it up), or as she puts it,
Originally Posted By: susan
A vet, a teacher and a doctor
She is trying to remove the focus from the argument and onto the authors and then not even providing any facts to discredit them! You want to question their credentials? Ok, let me see your proof that they sent away for their diplomas from the back of a matchbook.

Questioning an expert's credentials doesn't necessarily require proving, "they sent away for their diplomas from the back of a matchbook." It is perfectly legitimate to ask whether their degrees or previous research qualify them as experts on a given subject. Just having a PhD or an MD doesn't make someone an expert in every subject that could possibly be covered by that degree. For example, I've got an MA in Geography and I'm well on my way to getting a PhD (another year and a half, I hope! grin ). However, that doesn't mean that I'm an expert in geomorphology, or paleoclimatology, or demography. I know a little bit about these subjects, but no more than any amateur who's done a little reading and attended a couple of talks (in other words, just enough to get into trouble). On the other hand, if you want to talk about transportation or location science, I really am an expert.

Since we're discussing heat loss from the human body, I'd say that the fact that the first author is a veterinarian is possibly relevant. Of course, the best way to make this sort of judgement would be to look at a full CV, but since the blog didn't provide CVs, their degrees are all we have to go on.

Edited by Blackeagle (03/09/07 01:30 AM)