I have had some escrima training as well as other martial arts training over the years and I like sticks. I still take private martial arts lessons a few times a week. Never used a baton though.

I think I am partial to having a magazine when I am out and about town. If I ever get attacked (only been attacked once in my life and the assailants weren't trained, just stoned or drunk and the confrontation ended very quickly), it would take about as long to deploy a baton as it would to roll up a magazine (oh, and I didn't have a magazine that one time, but it wasn't necessary). And while the magazine is shorter than a baton, it can still hit pretty hard and give a little extra reach.

Plus, 99.99999% and hopefully 100% of the time, it will be used for its intended purpose...reading material. It can also be tinder, insulation and it is PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. friendly and shouldn't provoke anything. Sometimes having a weapon can provoke a confrontation too. Plus, having a magazine does not make me feel too aggresive or cocky. And I would be worried about problems with the law.

I agree with the sentiment that attitude is key. Just be aware and stay out of situations that could be dangerous. My only confrontation was because I didn't follow that advice that one time and went down a dark alley late at night (younger and stupider then). I avoid or walk away from everything else so far. My instructor is more aggessive than I am and has had many confrontations, armed and otherwise.

Thinking that the people that carry a baton or any other weapon are either ready, willing and able to use it or have it and may not be as ready and willing and able both scare me.