Too get back to my original post.

I don't know of anybody who can claim any proficiency with a baton with a couple of days training. Yes, any fool can pick up a baton and use it as a cudgel, but that is not what I would call proficiency.

If you want to learn any martial art or weapons system, seek out an experience instructor, check their credentials, and practise.
It takes weeks of intensive practise to develop the skills and muscle memory to become proficient with any type of weapon.

A baton in the hands of any experienced practitioner can be used for everything from disarms, throws, from purely defensive blocks to fatal strikes.

When I studied Kali and escrima, we would spar and train initially with rattan sticks. We then progressed to one man drills and forms with steel pipe to build up the forearms and wrists. Watching an experienced kali, escrima or arnis practitioner spar is a thing of beauty.

I would also strongly advise against carrying a baton for defensive purposes until you reach a level where you know what you are doing. In my experience, flashing a weapon can often escalate a situation, even when that is not your intent. And if you flash a weapon, you damn well better know how to use it.

M

Winners drip, losers gush. - Fred Degerberg
If it has an edge, go for the meat. If it doesn't, go for the bone.