I guess I might was well throw my two cents in, got nothing better to do right now anyway. I am not a "car" person. I don't read the specs on every vehicle on the road, and hate to turn a wrench, other than maybe an oil change. That said, I think that you should buy more for your everyday needs, and what you can afford, with the possibility of having to take it "off road," (which can be a very nasty place), running third, or maybe forth, since I doubt that very few will have to actually do that. Decent AT tires (none of those low profile things, you will ruin a rim on a small chuckhole with them), and fairly high ground clearance, in case you have to go over a curb or smallish tree limb.

A couple of years ago we needed a new vehicle, our old Nissan 2wd P/U being very tired, and we ended up with a 2004 Chevy Tracker. Four doors (to haul the grandkids from time to time), 4WD automatic with a manual transfer case, flat towable (behind our home on wheels), and decent (I guess, 27 or so highway) mpg. We normally keep the back seat folded down, have two Action Packer boxes back there for emergency stuff, and a pod on top for all of our tent camping gear. Yes, that makes it a tad more top heavy, but most of the stuff up there is actually pretty light. And we carry two sets of chains with us all the time. I will not chain up to go anywhere (yet), but want to be able to chain up to get out if necessary. Chains can come in as handy for mud as snow/ice. Also a good 12v air compressor, so we can air the tires down if necessary, then air them back up as needed. Is this the perfect "survival situation" vehicle. Probably not. But it has worked for us so far, and it is paid for...