I think most anything will do. I remember back many years ago, we were in our '85 Blazer, in 4WD, picking our way carefully up a trail full of large rocks. Going about 3 mph. Then out of nowhere came this huge Buick sedan just flying along with a large woman driver (many hundred lbs I'd guess, the land-yacht was listing over towards the drivers side). It was just bouncing and jumping and sparking as it bashed across the rocks at full speed. It was quite a sight to behold, but this Buick put our 4x4 Blazer to shame. Where she came from and where she was going will forever remain a mystery.

I wish I was rich enough to choose/buy a vehicle based on how well it would do in the rare bug-out scenerio. We just bought a new truck that seems like it'd be OK for the task. But we've only had it 4 days so I can't speak from experience. Just your non-exotic Ford F150 4x4 Supercab with skid plate and heavy duty towing package. Of all our cars, this is the one I'd take if I were going somewhere that I thought might be dicey to navigate.