I just did a similar 'test' last night. Though not nearly as thorough. And, not a Successful ending. And, I was drunk.

Got home last night and relaxed a while along with some scotch. Around 10:30 it started raining pretty good. so I thought "Hey! It'd be a great night to sleep outside!" I wanted to set up a tarp/hiking pole shelter, but couldn't find my camping tarp. Decided to try just setting up my tent fly with poles but no body. That turned out incredibly cool, hadn't done that before with this tent (MSR Hubba hubba, which is AWESOME.)

Threw in a 15* bag on an Thermarest full length, stripped to skivies, and crashed.

The rain was coming down hard and sounded really cool on the tent fly. However, the car traffic down my residential street and folks coming home from bars kept waking me up. And, I was NEVER quite warm enough. I'm usually a warm sleeper, but with just underwear on my skin and alcohol in my blood I never cozied up.

Finally, with my head and throat bugging me (I'm still getting over a cold) I thought this was ridiculous. Got up, threw the gear in my garage, and went to bed. I figured it was 2am or so. Nope. 6:30am. Man, I'm tired today.

Tonight we're doing the same thing but out in the woods where it's quite. And, we'll be better geared up for it and put up the full tent. Still have to drink some wine, though. Just a tradition in the woods to bring uncle carlos when car camping...

Jason