Boacrow,

I understand where you are coming from, but I think the reason many of us carry multi-tools is because they are convenient. Sure, you have all those dedicated tools and combined they may very well serve you better than a single multi-tool, but are you going or even able to carry them with you everywhere you go? I don't mean in your vehicle or even in a backpack... I mean in your pants pockets. My leatherman tools can't do everything, but they are sufficient to get the job done the majority of them time I need a tool, and for me that's a great thing and well worth the price, especially when I am able to help others with them. I haven't saved any lives, but one time while biking I came upon a guy whose bike was broken down. Some of his spokes somehow became bent and they were tangled in the frame. I was able to free them quickly using the pliers. It might have been possible to untangle them by hand but the pliers definitely made the job easier (and much safer). There are many other times the multi-tools have come in handy as well. There have been plenty nails and metal filed, things cut, and screws driven with my Leatherman tools...

Not only that, I carry a different one at work (a Core). I'm an electronics maintenance technician and instead of carrying a large, heavy tool bag every time I'm on a call, I carry a much smaller utility pouch that is centered around the Leatherman tool. I also have a sharpie, adjustable wrench, insulated screwdriver, multimeter, flashlight, and some tape in there, but the pliers can be used to turn bolt heads if needed and with this alone I would say it covers my tool needs at least 80% of the time. If I know I will need dedicated tools or they they would make the job considerably easier I can always carry just those with me. Beats having to carry around the entire toolbag...

Multi-tools are freakin' awesome.

Edited by kmcrawford111 (01/31/07 04:54 AM)