Having split careers between blue collar and white collar work for the past two decades, I can say that my multi tools were used and carried on my person a lot more often when blue collar. In Baghdad I sat at a desk most of the time but still kept the Wave on my belt just because I could and it was the right thing to do there. In Manhattan and here in Brisbane, I am in the office and don't need to carry the tool on my person, but I stll keep it at my desk and take it home with me every night. I just don't use it hardly at all now. Instead, I picked up an SAK classic which is small enough to fit in the front pocket of my slacks, but still has a blade, a file of sorts with a slotted screwdriver end, and a decent scissors. I still use this tool at least once a day.

For EDC, I guess it depends on your motivation. My wave used to be the most used item I had when I was a field tech working on communications equipment and computer systems for a living, so I always kept it at hand. Now it is sufficient just to have it nearby, just in case. That just in case thing is the catch. If you have it and don't need it, maybe you can call it a luxury, but if you need it and don't have it, what do you call it then?

Perhaps the best endorsement for edc'ing a multi tool is that it is the one item Les Stroud always takes with him. He will forsake every other bit of gear, but never his Leatherman or his cameras. That alone is enough to tell me what is smart investing.

As for most unusual use, well, I used mine once to arc the solenoid on an old ford pickup to get it started. I won't do that again and don't recommend it for others unless it is urgent. I've met a couple folks who've used a Leatherman to completely field dress and quarter a full size elk. Field dressing an elk with any knife is a chore, but they didn't seem to struggle any more than most guys using specialty knives. My brother used his as a sliding weight on a fishing line to unstick a lure in a river. In my opinion that wasn't worth the risk, but he seemed to think so at the time.