You are correct, some of the tools in most multi's are a joke. I wish that mine didn't have the can opener (got the same P-38 I have been carrying for 40years on my key chain, and it works as well today as it did brand new), bottle opener, awl (and a rotten awl it is), and I wish my file was the newer diamond version. I have used the saw on all kinds of small things, filed both wood and metal, crimped solderless connectors, cut wire, cut with both the straight and serriated bladed, gripped all kinds of things with the pliers, used all of the screwdriver blades on a jillion screws (Phillips is used the most), and cut all kinds of things with both the straight and serriated blades. I have even measured things with the ruler. All because a better tool was not readily at hand.

The only war story I can think of at the momemt is that a month or so ago I was "working" at a campground that also had a couple of cabins. While checking the cabins one day, I discovered that something had settled, and the strikerplate on the door no longer lined up with the lock on the door. My "real" tools were a pretty good hike away, so I whipped out Mr. Leatherman, used the Phillips to remove the plate, used an edge of the plate as a straightedge, and the tip of the straight blade to scribe a line, then used the blade to remove the wood. Then of course replace the screws. All in about four or five minutes. Works for me.

But it sounds as if your mind is made up, so don't buy one...