I see a few people that don't seem to EDC their leatherman. I'm not knocking them or anything like that, I just don't think the advantage outweighs the cost for me. I haven't really priced them till recently because I never really wanted one. When I saw the price I couldn't believe it. I'm just wondering if there are uses that I haven't thought of. There would almost have to be to make it such a popular knife. One thing I've found with those type multitools (I've had really cheap versions of them) is that they are not very comfortable to work with and I have just never needed any of the tools they have in them bad enough to justify buying one.

As a quick rundown, here are the tools I've seen on these type of tools....

1. Knife blade. I already have plenty of knives and the handles are far more comfortable.
2. Screwdriver tips. I haven't ever needed a screwdriver while camping, although the eyeglass repair is certainly one of those things that would make the tool pay for itself with one use. I've never needed one however.
3. File. I have stones for sharpeningso I don't need that really. Plus I have a small bastard file in my bag that has a point on one end so if worse comes to worse, I can use it as a spear if the need ever arises (that to has never happened although I have hammered it into a tree to hang something on)
4. Can opener. I use P-38s so I've never needed one of these either. The P-38s are great so I have several scattered throughout my gear just in case on breaks or gets lost.
5. Ruler. I'm not sure what that's for. I've never needed a 6 inch ruler even at work.
6. Pliers. Probably the most noticeable tool on there. I've got hemostats and tweezers for splinters and such and I very seldom ever use them. I mostly just use a pocket knife
7. Saw. I've never used a saw that small although I tried it once. It didn't really work for me. I've got a bowsaw, two folding saws, two tomahawks, and a machete. I don't really need a two inch saw.
8. Awl. Not really sure about this one. I work with leather making holsters and sheaths and stuff for my own personal use (they aren't really that good since I can't cut a straight line) and I've never owned an awl. I usually either poke holes with a knife blade, or just jam the needle through as best I can.
9. Bottle opener. I think these are mostly nostalgic. I can't remember the last time I had to use a bottle opener. Almost everything is twist off now.
10. Wire strippers. I don't do alot of electrical work in the woods. I do install car stereos for friends but I use my teeth for stripping wire. It was a habit I started when I was younger and didn't always have wire strippers.

Anyway, I know that most of the people here have other uses fo the tools. I'm curious what kinds of uses you guys have for these things. For me, it's just not worth paying that much for something I would never use anyway, but as has already been stated, there are people that use them and they would be handy from time to time.

On a side note, what is the most bizzare or outrageous use for a leatherman that you folks have come up with? Is there a case where someone here has used one for something that they would have never even thought of because it would have sounded so outrageous? I love the stories like that so let's hear them all.