In my youth, I learned for a fact that a properly baited fishing hook can snag both small mammals and birds(note:almost no meat on a bird unless it's really big). Birds and mammals must be cooked/smoked well, but, then they are generally safe I think. When we "experimented" with this, we were in the "100 Mile Wilderness" heading to Mt Katahdin. We were living on Mountain House style freeze dried stuff, so we ate any "real" food we caught. (Up there, we could also get good trout in the rivers, bass and pickerel in the ponds. We had a small spinning rig with us.) Come to think of it, we didn't even filter water back then, just dipped our old GI canteen into the rivers. (I guess we were lucky, I wouldn't think of doing that today.)

Even if you're not fishing/snaring, etc, the fishing line may serve as nice lashing material when cobbling together a shelter. Larger hooks could be straightened to attach to a stick for spearing small things that crawl about. Fishing line is also handy for repairing clothes, packs, etc.

Oh yeah, if you're ever going to eat small game, it's a lot more palatable with a little something to hide the gamey flavor. We used to carry some "Crazy Salt" to put on virtually anything.

- Ron