I agree that in most parts of the country, fishing is your best bet for obtaining substantial nourishment. In a survival situation, you are better off going for small fish that you normally wouldn't consider when sport fishing. Small fish are just so much easier to catch and after gutting and cooking, you can eat them head and all. Forget going after the 14 lb. bass. I'm a frequent fisherman and use many different artificial baits, but if I had to eat, I would use natural live baits. Grubs in rotten logs or under bark, worms, tadpoles, lizards, mayflies, caterpillars, crickets, hellgramites, whatever you can scratch up. Fish that turn up their noses at all artificial lures will usually rush to get natural live food they are used to seeing. I always have plenty of fishing gear in my vehicle, but to be prepared for an emergency situation, it really doesn't take much equipment. With a few small hooks, some fishing line, and some sinkers you can catch small fish or large minnows with natural bait quite easily in even very small streams. An very adequate fishing kit can be packed in a 35mm film cannister. You don't even know you have it in your pocket. A small fishing kit can usually provide a reliable protein source without the weight and bother of a firearm. Plus you can take it in Parks where you would get arrested promptly for having a firearm.