We're in day 3 of the worst ice storm to hit Southwest Missouri in 20 years. I actually think locally it is the worst in 50 years based on the fact that even the giant hardwoods like Oaks & Hickories are being destroyed like I've never seen before. Some of the oaks on & around our land are 50 & 60 feet high & really old. They have been snapping off all weekend - at times sounded like a war zone.

We lost power 10:00 pm on Friday. Moved all refrigerator items to boxes & put in van & put all freezer items in cooler on front porch. We were initially afraid that the power would be out a week plus and that it would warm up & spoil the food so we have been cooking microwave meals in a frying pan on the BBQ.

Been using this flashlight all weekend:

http://www.amazon.com/MasterVision-308ww-Cap-Light/dp/B0006515C6

And I love it!

Both hand free at all times! It was only $11 at WallyWorld. After using it cave crawling this summer I got both of my boys the same ones for Christmas. It doesn't light up the world, but works great for navigating the house when there is no power. Very, very comfortable as I can't tell it's even on the hat. And always with me.

The biggest problem with our house is we don't have a woodstove and the fireplace is in the great room so any heat goes up to the top & with no electricity to run the fan it is worthless as far as heating the house.

The good thing is it's an earthberm so we camped out in the Masterbedroom & bath which is along the berm. With 7 candles & 4 bodies heating the 12 X 15 bedroomroom it stayed in the upper 60's even though the temps outside hovered 28-32 all weekend as the rain kept coming down & freezing.

The best part of this weekend is my wife will be very open to future "preparation" expenditures.