Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Generator: I did select a Honda - the EU2000i. Expensive, but has some nice features. I'll look into the hook-up kit if I get a second one, although I might be tempted to diversify generator types since there are a lot of options in that price range.

Flashlights: I wasn't as clear as I could have been about this. For lighting a room from "dark" (around 5:30 pm at the time, I think) until bedtime I used two lights which each took four D cell batteries. One is flourescent with two tubes (you can use one or both), the other is designed to sit on a table or hang from above and to distribute light outward - rather than focused in a small area like a flashlight does. Those were fine for generally lighting up the room to avoid tripping on stuff, but weren't bright enough to read by for long unless I was right next to them. The one that used a small, traditional incandescent bulb didn't have terribly impressive battery life, but the flourescent one seemed to last quite a while. I'm sure most people use the D's for large flashlights, and I admit I have a big Maglite lying around somewhere. But it sure didn't turn out to be very convenient for my needs.

The small CR123A lights I mentioned were what I used to walk around the house, go outdoors with, read with, and generally get things done. I've got one with switches to control the brightness which helps make it versatile, adjustable for reading, and extends battery life.

Camp Stove: I'll look into them. I'm only familiar with the really small ones designed for lugging around, like the Jetboil system. I could get something cheaper and maybe larger for home use.

Dogs: We have Eurasiers - created in the 50's - half Samoyed, quarter Chow, quarter Keeshond. We had plenty of food. Our vet has a 24-hour emergency hospital, but I don't know what they do in the event of a power loss.

Propane Lanterns: I'll have to look into these.

Better Battery-powered Radio: Receiving TV band would be useful. Think I'll add a new radio to my list.

I am curious, though - How fast does gasoline go bad? And how do people store more than 5 or 10 gallons safely?

Thanks,