In NE Illinois the biggest risk involves young children. That is how I got interested in survival in the first place - building survival kits and training Cub Scouts.

For adults in remote areas (remote for NE Illinois) the biggest concern is if a health issue places you outdoors unexpectedly, like a broken hip while walking through a remote forest preserve. Though we have an occasional rattlesnake, the biggest risk from critters is probably someone with allergies getting into a bee hive or falling from the occasional high spot (they do exist here, though not common).

From an urban perspective the biggest concern I have is probably a nuclear disaster hitting the Chicago area, a massive tornado hit in my immediate area, a large earthquake, or a massive fire in my place of work (a large multi-story building in the suburbs). We don't get much flooding here, big snow storms slow things down a bit but aren't life threatening, and we don't have to worry about hurricanes or Tsunamis. The midwest is a pretty safe place.

Of course the needs change as I travel to other areas of the country.