At 6k, is there any oxygen loss to contend with? I know that alot of times mountain climbers have to carry oxygen with them just to be able to perform the most basic tasks. I must admit I don't know that much about it since we don't have mountains here in Alabama.

As for the snakes and black widows, I am a long time breeder of black widows and keeper of all manner of snakes. Right now I am down to two of each (the snakes are a timber rattler that I've had for about 5 years and a copperhead that I just got.) so I am constantly hunting them when I am out. In fact, most of the time, it's the reason I am out to start with. Most reptiles and spiders don't really concern me too much but if I know they are there and can't see them, they terrify me!

Just a disclaimer, I have dealt with venomous animals for years and know exactly what to expect when bitten. For kids that might think about handling these things, DON'T! If for no other reason than it hurts like hell, and eventually you WILL get bitten. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. DO NOT MESS WITH SNAKES OR SPIDERS OF ANY KIND FOR ANY REASON.