"The Essential Wilderness Navigator: How to Find Your Way In the Great Outdoors, Second Edition", 2001, by David Seidman with Paul Cleveland. Its published by Ragged Mountain Press...It does a good job of describing maps, compasses, and map & compass navigation including how to use land features to improve your navigation abilities."

I agree with you. For neophyte land navigators or those wanting a refresher, this is the best book out there. It is well written with good illustrations and in experience teaches faster than any other map/compass guide I've used for land navigation classes. It's also authored by people with authentic back-country navigating backgrounds who aren't trying to stretch their nautical sailing experiences or participation in a few adventure races into a land navigation book.

Once you're beyond that stage, there are more specialized books out there that deal with more advanced navigation techniques or environments. A few I can think of include the British MOD's Manual of Map Reading and Land Navigation, the U.S. Army's Manual FM 21-26, Mooers' Finding Your Way in the Outdoors, Muehrcke's Map Use, and Johnson's The Ultimate Desert Handbook (desert navigation).